Foreign Travel Health Advice
Travel abroad is so common nowadays that it is often easy to forget the necessary precautions. Make sure you are prepared for your holiday by booking an appointment in good time prior to your journey.
It is safest to consult us at least two months before intended departures.
Prior to booking an appointment with one of our nursing team for overseas travel vaccinations, you will need to have completed and returned an OVERSEAS TRAVEL INFORMATION FORM, providing full details of your intended trip. This is so that the vaccines you may require can be organised prior to the consultation.
Forms are available from any of our three surgeries (or can be downloaded via the link below) but the completed form must be returned to the HURSTPIERPOINT HEALTH CENTRE only. Appointments can be made at any of our three surgeries, although if Yellow Fever vaccination is required, this can only be given at Hurstpierpoint and Hassocks.
Please remember and plan to allow 5 working days for us to process your completed form before you try and make an appointment.
Download our Travel Information Form here
Please note that an appointment for travel advice can only be booked by the Receptionist if a form has been completed, returned and processed.
If you are unable to comply with the above, you will need to consult a private Travel Clinic.
Yellow Fever Vaccinations
Both Hurstpierpoint and Hassocks Health Centres are authorised Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres.
Some Travel Advice...
- Take a small first aid kit.
- Personal hygiene is essential.
- Beware bites from insects and animals. Many diseases are insect-borne and rabies is widespread in animals abroad.
- Be careful with raw vegetables, salads, fruits, shellfish and ice-cubes.
- Respect the power of the sun. Use sun creams regularly.
- Sexually transmitted diseases (including AIDS) are a major health threat throughout the world. Condoms offer some protection.
- If you need to take anti-malaria tablets remember you need to start one week before departure and continue for four weeks after you return.
- If you take regular medications, don't forget to take enough supply!
- Remember to arrange adequate medical travel insurance.